ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Tamil was established in the year 2004 with the objective of providing quality education to the rural Students in and around Salem. The Department has seven faculty members with adequate qualification from various field of research. Also the department offers job oriented and relevant subjects for the students. Well equipped language lab has been established to promote the pronunciation skill of the students and the modern teaching methods are being adapted. By motivation of the department many Scholars have been successfully qualified NET/SET exam which is offered by University Grant Commission (UGC). The department has organized various Conferences, Seminars, Workshops and Special Lecture Programmers for the betterment of Student. Moreover the Department activities are always centered on promoting research in Tamil language and literature, and a special focus is given for translation studies.
- A Seminar Conducted on SANGAM LITERATURE – A Multi Disciplinary Approach, 9, 10 February 2006
- EARLY TWENTYFIRST CENTURY TAMIL POETRIES – A National Seminar, Collaborate with New Century Book House Private Ltd., Department of Tamil, Salem, 28,29-09-2006.
- Siddhar’s thought (Science and Literature ) – A National Seminar, Department of Tamil, periyar University, 6-7-12-2006.
- E-Library – an Introductory meeting on the works of Tamil Virtual University, presented by Professors Dr. Rabisingh, and Dr. Seenisamy, Arranged by the Department of Tamil, Periyar University, Salem, 05-10-2006.
- A Seminar on THOLKAPPIYAM, A Multidisciplinary Approach, February 27,28 2007 6. A Seminar on SILAPPATIKARAM, AND MANIMEKALAI – A Multidisciplinary Approach – February 4-6 2008.
- A Seminar on THIRUKKURAL – A Multidisciplinary Approach , March 26, 27, 28 2008
- A Seminar on PATHINENKIZHKANAKKU– A Multidisciplinary Approach , March 16,17,18 – 2009
- A Seminar on MALAIYINAMAKKAL ILAKIYAM (TRIBAL LITERATURE) Collaborate with Sakitya Academy, August 21 – 2009
- A Seminar on SANGAM LITERATURE AND THOLKAPPIYAM – AMultidisciplinary Approach , Funded by Central Institute of Classical Tamil, Chennai, March01-03- 2010
- A Seminar on THEORY OF THOLKAPPIYAM AND OTHER DRAVIDA AND SANSKARIT GRAMMARS, Funded by Central Institute of Classical Tamil, Chennai, February 9-11 2011
- A Seminar on ETHIC LITERATURE Joint as pious with Department of Tamil, Govt. Arts College, Salem – 7, March 23,24 -2011
- A Seminar on Periodically in Feminism Literature Joint as pious with Department of Tamil, Govt. Arts College, Krishnagiri, October 12,13 -2011
- A Workshop on SANG ILAKKIYA NOKKIL ILAKKIYA PAYIL MURAI Funded by Central Institute of Classical Tamil, Chennai, February 20 to Marc 01 – 2012.
RELATED TO KALIGNAR RESEARCH CENTRE
- Mupperum Vizha – September 15-17, 2008
- Bavander Bharathidasan Birth Annuasary, April 29,30-2009
- Mupperum Vizha – September 15-17, 2009
- Seminar on Kavivendar ‘K. Velaventhan’ works, November 11 – 2009
- Tamil – Tamils – Periyar – Thiru V. Anaimuthu, March 9, 2010
- Mupperum Vizha – December 01-03, 2010 SPECIAL LECTURES 1 Current Trends in Tamilology (Four Eminent Professors delivered Lectures on Lexicography, Drama, Folklore and Bakthi Literature) March 28-29 2005
- Special Lectures On Tamilology (9 Eminent Professors Delivered lectures on Silappatikaram (Epic), Sangam Literature, Folkdeities, History of Salem, Grammatical Theory of Tholkappiyar, Contemporary Tamil Poetries, Semiotics, Tamil Research in Feature, Journalism of Tamil) March 12-16, 2007
- Special lectures on First Five Music MelodyThe period of Sangam – difine, Post Modesim,Creative Experience, Today direction of literary, The creative writer and his creative works delivered March 30-31 2009
- Special Lectures On Ethinic poetry, Downtrodden’s Literature, Prefix in Tamil, Oral Mythology, Folk Creative Literature,Philosophical tradition in Classical Tamil Literature, March 29-30, 2010
- Special Lectures on Folklore and Theory- Folklore , Research A New view, Folksongs Towards Ethnography, Kannaki tales in folklore Every Period, Theorytical Approchs – Sangam and Archeology, Theory of Feminism, Theory of Comparative literature, Theortical Research – Religion, March 30-31, 2011
- Special Lectures on AAIVIYAL NOKKIL SAMAYA ILAKKIYANKAL, AAIVIYAL NOKKIL NATTUPPURAVIYAL Periyar University, 28, 30-03-2013
- Special Lectures on PANMUKA NOKKIL THIRUKKURAL, AAIVIYAL NOKKIL NATTUPPURAVIYAL Periyar University, 17, 18-03-2014 Special Seminars Seminar on Poet KANNADASAN One Day Seminar Professors of Affiliated Colleges And the Research Scholars of Tamil Dept., of Periyar University are Participated as Resource Persons March 2008 gapw;rp tFg;Gfs; TRAINING PROGRAMMES Special Training Programme BEHAVIOURAL AND ATTITUDINAL CHANGES Every week A Training course For BSNL Staff Members Since17-1-2005 (In Collaborate with the Dept., of Commerce, (100 Batches) Periyar University)
- A WORKSHOP ON POETRY October for school, college and university students, 28-29, 2006 (In collaborate with Society of Tamil Nadu Progressive writers)
- TEACHING OF GRAMMAR -A Workshop for December School Teachers (In collaborate with 24-25, 2006 Sri Sarada College of Education, Salem ) Endowment I ESTABLISHMENT OF AN ENDOWMENT MAHATMA GANDHI AND THIRUVARUTPIRAKACA VALLALAR IRAMALINGA ATIKAL Endowment Established on Oct. 27, 2005 Established by CAATU MUTTAIYA SWAMIKAL andDr. DURAISAMY Worth Rs. One Lakhs First Endowment Lecture (In the History of Periyar University) On November 10, 2006 Endowment II Prof. Paavalar BLASUNDARANAR ENDOWMENT – Worth of Rs. 2 Lakhs Will be established by Periyar University. Main Focus of this endowment is Generally Tamil Grammatical Studies Especially Studies on Tholkappiyam Endowment III Prof. Paavalar R.P. SARATHY CHETTIYAR ENDOWMENT- Worth of Rs 2 Lakhs Will be established by Periyar University.
- DR T. PERIYASAMY
- “A Social Cultural study of the Malayali Tribals in the Sitheri Hills of Dharmapuri District of Tamil Nadu”
- DR M. TAMILMARAN
- “The Contribution of Tamil Journals to the development of Tamil Language and literature in the first 50 years of 20thCentury”
- DR V. RAMARAJAPANDIAN
- “A Social Cultural study of the Malayali Tribals in the Pala Hills of Salem District of Tamil Nadu”
- DR S. VELAYUTHAN
- “A social Cultural Study of the Irular Tribes in the Dharmapuri District of Tamil Nadu”