ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mathematics is one of the departments functioning from the inception of Periyar University. The Department offers programmes of study and research leading to M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees and is on a relentless march towards academic excellence. Based on the contributions towards research, University Grants Commission (UGC) has granted Special Assistance Programme (SAP) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) has granted Fund for Improvementof S&T infrastructure (FIST) to this department. The Department conducts various research activities in the following areas:
- Graph Theory
- Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis
- Control Theory
- Mathematical Biology
The department produced 45 Ph.D’s and 150 M.Phil students. Further, 5 candidates cleared NET examinations, 4 candidates cleared GATE examinations and 26 candidates cleared SET examinations. Also the department has published more than 150 research papers both National/Internationally reputed journals with impact factors.
Apart from the above, the department has organized 20 workshops/conferences/seminars at National level by generating funds to the tune of Rs. 20 lakhs from the National funding agencies like NBHM, DST, CSIR, DRDO and generated Rs. 86 lakhs through projects/Non-SAP operated from National funding agencies.
Based on the above activities, UGC & DST recognized this department and sanctioned Rs.80.50 lakhs under Special Assistance Programme (SAP) and Rs. 1.01 Crores under Fund for Improvement of Science and Technology Infrastructure (FIST) respectively for further development of laboratory and library facilities.
The Department of Mathematics aspires to be globally recognized as a center for advanced study in Mathematics through teaching and research. The Department also aims to train people in advanced areas of Mathematics to the international standard.
- To provide strong background to conduct basic research in the thrust areas identified by the National Scientific Agencies.
- To provide opportunities for developing high quality mathematical skills for successful researcher/teacher.
- To conduct quality research on par with international standard
- To produce graduates with leadership quality for dedicated services to the society.
A candidate who has passed B.Sc. Mathematics, B.Sc. Mathematics C.A. paper with 45% marks.
Relaxation of 5% marks for SC/ST and Differently Abled Students.
|M.Phil (Mathematics) ||[as per University Norms]|
|Ph.D (Mathematics) ||[as per University Norms]|
- National Seminar on algebra and its applications, February 12 – 13, 2009 (Supported by Periyar University).
- Fifth annual Instructional conference of ADMA and Graph Theory Day V (ACADMA -2009), June 8 – 10, 2009. (Supported by NBHM,DST, DRDO and CSIR).
- National Conference on Advances in Differential Equations (NCADEA – 2010), October 07-08, 2010 (Supported by NBHM).
- Second National Conference on Advances in Differential Equations (NCADEA – 2012), March 29-30, 2012, (Supported by CSIR, NBHM and DST).
- National Conference on Recent Advances in Graph Theory, March 06-07, 2014 (Supported by DST-SERB, UGC, TANSCHE, TNSCST).
- Third National Conference on Advances in Differential Equations (NCADEA – 2014), December 4-5, 2014, (Supported by CSIR, NBHM and DST).
- Workshop on Real Analysis, Jan. 24 – 25, 2007. (Supported by TNSCST and NCSTC)
- Workshop on Decomposition of Graphs and Product Graph, June-22-25, 2011 (Supported by DST, CSIR and NBHM)
- National Workshop on Mathematical Analysis and its Applications (WMAA 2012), May 7 – 12, 2012 (Supported by DST, CSIR and UGC)
- Mathematics Training and Talent Search Programme (Mini-MTTS), June 23 – July 5, 2014 (Supported by NBHM).
Special Lectures (Funded by Periyar University)
- Prof. R.P. Sharma, Himachal Pradesh University, Irreducible Wreath Product Modules, Sep. 1, 2010.
- Prof. E. Thandapani, University of Madras, Differential Equations, Oct. 22, 2010.
- Prof. S. Sundar, IIT Madras, Incompressible flow simulation, Oct. 29, 2010.
- Prof. P. Paulraja, Annamalai University, Decomposition of Graphs, Nov. 1, 2010.
- Prof. A.R. Rajan, University of Kerala, Representation theory of finite groups, Nov. 12, 2010.
- Prof. T. Tamizh Chelvam, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Finite Simple Groups, Nov. 18, 2010.
- Prof. N. Ramanujam, Bharathidasan University, Differential Equations, Jan. 13, 2011.
- Prof. T. Tamizh Chelvam, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Groups of order less than 25, Dec.12, 2011.
- Prof. M. Marudai, Bharathidasan University, Multivariative Calculus, Mar. 14, 2012.
- Dr. P.S. Sreenivasan, Bharathidasan University, Real Analysis, Mar. 17, 2012.
- Prof. G.P Yuvaraj, University of Madras, Complex Analysis, Mar. 17, 2012.
- Prof. Matthias Warkentin, Chemnitz Technical University (Germany), Combinatorial Aspect of Tilting Modules, Mar. 21, 2012.
- Dr.S.Saravanan, Bharathiar University, An introduction to fluid Dynamics, Mar. 26, 2012.
- Shri. K.G.Jayanthilal, State Co-ordinator, Lalandia IAS Circle, Awareness Program on Competitive Examinations, Feb. 21, 2013.
- Dr.K.Sakthivel, DST Inspire Faculty, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Some Aspects of solutions of Partial Differential Equations, Feb. 22, 2013.
- Dr.Clare D’Cruz, Chennai Mathematics Institute, Polynomial, Blowing up and Integrally closed Ideals, Mar. 6, 2013.
- Prof. S. Thangavelu, Indian Institute of Science, A brief introduction to Riemann Hypothesis, Mar.3, 2013.
- Prof. Dr. Chin-Mei Fu, Tamkang University (Taiwan), Decomposition complete graphs Into triangles and claws, Jan. 20, 2014.
- Prof. Dr. Hung-Lin Fu, National Chiao Tung University, Applications of graph packing and graph covering, Jan. 20, 2014.
- Prof. G.P. Yuvaraj, University of Madras, Sequences of functions, Jan. 23, 2015.
- Computer Lab
- Department Library with Good collection
- Scholarship and University Research Fellowship
|Name of the Faculty
|| Title of theProject
||TheStudy of Characters and Cellularity of G-Brauer Algebras
||2007 to 2010
||CellularlyStratified Algebras and Tilting Modules
||2012 to 2015||Completed
||Decompositionsand Factorizations of graphs
||2007 to 2010||Completed
||Decompositionsof Graphs and Product Graphs into Paths, Cycles and Stars
||2014 to 2017||Completed
||QualitativeBehavior of Solutions of Fuzzy Differential Equations
||2007 to 2010||Completed
||Mixedand Hybrid Finite Element Methods and Optimal Control Problems
||2011 to 2014||Completed
||InverseProblems for Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equation
||2012 to 2015
||Studieson Existence and Blow-up of Solutions of Partial Differential Equations
||2016 to 2019||Completed
||Stabilityand Hopf Bifurcation Analysis of Stochastic Predator - Prey Models withDiffusion
||2017 to 2019||Ongoing
|2018 - 2019 ONWARDS|
|2016 - 2017 ONWARDS|
|2015 - 2016 ONWARDS|
Professor and Head
Department of Mathematics
Periyar Palkalai Nagar
Salem – 636011
Ph: 0427-2345766 (Ext.No:253 & 254)
E-Mail : email@example.com